Friday, April 10, 2009

One a Penny Two a Penny Hot Cross Buns!



Growing up, there were always hot cross buns around my house during Easter. I loved them when I was little, but I realize they were always eaten toasted. One day I ate one un-toasted, and realized the reason we toasted them was that they were store bought and a little stale tasting. So this year, I decided to bake my own, veganize them, and see if they tasted delicious like I remembered. Ohhh man were these good! They aren't gluten free, I used whole wheat flour instead. I think you could easily make them gluten free with the appropriate flours. I think it's interesting that, like the soda bread, they have crosses slashed into the tops. A quick Google search informed me that some believe the bus come from a pagan festival around Spring time, and monks "gave it the ol' cross" to Christian-ize them. There's also a neat story about a woman hanging hot cross buns from her window to mark the years her son was on a sailing trip. Learn more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_cross_buns

Ingredients

flax egg replacer (1 tbsp of flax seeds, 3 cups of water)
1 cup of warm soymilk
1/4 cup of brown sugar
2 tbsp of vegan margarine

3 cups of whole wheat flour
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1 1/2 tsp of instant yeast
1/2 cup of mixed currants and raisins
1/4 cup of chopped dates and clementine peel
Glaze

100% Canadian Maple Syrup

Icing

Icing sugar
lemon juice
soymilk

Method

Mix warmed soymilk and flax egg
Add in milk, sugar, margerine, yeast and stir
Set aside for about 5 minutes, and prepare dry ingredients
Mix flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, currants and peel.
Add into the wet mixture, and knead for about 5 minutes
Cover with a plastic bag and place in a slightly warmed oven for 1 1/2 hours
After the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 375 degrees
Divide dough into about 8 pieces, form into balls, brush with maple syrup, slash a cross on the top of each, and put on baking tray, bake for about 20-25 minutes.
While they're baking, prepare the icing. Mix lemon juice, icing sugar, and soymilk until you have a thick creamy paste (the thicker the better).
When they're done baking, let them cool slightly, and spoon the icing into a cross shape.
These taste amaaaaazing warm, I ate one before I even finished icing the rest. I guess I dont add too much sugar to my recipes, so the sweetness of these was so damn good. These are a real treat.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. ooohh these look yummy! if i had all of the ingredients i would totally make them...but i have no yeast and im running out of syrup and everything else ahhh

    ReplyDelete