Monday, April 20, 2009

Roasted Tomato Soup


There better be May flowers after all these April showers!! Normally I love the rain, but this morning I woke up feeling terrible, my nose is all stuffed up and my sinuses are going nuts. Last night I used my new Netti-Pot for the first time, but I was giggling the whole time so I didn't use it properly. Back to the rain: I had to ride my bike through the rain to work at 6:45 AM, and then home again at 1. The whole way home I was thinking of what my co-worker (who wasn't biking home) said as I grumbled about having to bike home: "Aww but I love biking in the rain!" Yes, I thought of this as I was almost pushed into traffic from the strong wind, while my hands were close to freezing, and while I tried to wrestle my tissue from my pocket one handed, holding my tea mug and bike handle with the other so I could stop my nose from running down my face. Delightful.

Anyway, this fun morning experience encouraged me to make some warm comforting soup, and this was my first time making vegan tomato soup.


Ingredients


5 regular tomatoes
olive oil
garlic cloves (as many as you like! I used 5)
1 onion
2 cups soy milk
1 cup veggie stock
1 cup water
1 tbsp of tomato paste
herbs (again, whatever you like, I used basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary black pepper and red pepper flakes)

Method

Roast the tomatoes at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, with the garlic and olive oil.
Chop the onion, and add the leftover oil from the roasted tomatoes. Saute with the roasted garlic until browned.
Add the tomatoes and herbs. I used about a tbsp of each
Stir it up.
Add 1 cup of veggie stock, and 1 cup water.
Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for about 10 minutes
Add 2 cups of soy milk, blend all ingredients.
Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. i woke up sick two days ago too!!!!
    i bet we got the same cold
    maybe robs


    this soup looks sooooooooooo warm and comforting though!!

    i give you A++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    ReplyDelete