Monday, February 16, 2009










Banana Apple and Oat Muffins



This morning started off pretty great: my cat Daisy woke me up, and I realized that at this time of year, around 10 in the morning the sun hits directly on my pillow. Nice way to wake up. I felt so good that I was thinking about going for a run…but that ambition ended pretty quickly. Instead I made peanut butter apple and oat muffins haha. But you should have seen me stirring the ingredients…worked up a sweat.
The muffins were pretty simple, I got the recipe from Urban Drivel http://urbandrivel.blogspot.com/) but I changed the recipe around quite a bit. Originally, these were supposed to be peanut butter and banana muffins, which I imagine would be amazing. I didn’t have any bananas, so I swapped them for some apple sauce (just blend two apples).
Here we go:

Ingredients

1 cup of flour (I used half and half kamut and spelt)
¾ of a cup oats
1/3 of a cup brown sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1 cup of soy milk
½ cup of peanut butter (the kind I use is the natural-no-stuff-added-just-peanuts kind)
½ cup of apple sauce
Egg replacer equivalent to one egg (I used 2 tbs of cornstarch)
1 tbs of olive oil
1 tsp vanilla
Handful of oats to sprinkle on top

Method

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare 12 muffin trays.
In one bowl, combine dry ingredients (oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder).
In another bowl, combine wet ingredients and cornstarch (soy milk, peanut butter, applesauce, oil, vanilla).
Add wet to dry, and mix.
Fill muffin cups about 3/4ths of the way. Sprinkle the oats on top.
Bake these puppies for 16-18 minutes (I cooked them for 20 and the bottoms were too almost too browned).

My other cat buddy, Marble came over to check them out:

But after she was fed, Daisy had no interest. Hm.




1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHA your cats are dolls.
    i love your recipes because you make them so flexible and that makes me want to try them right now because pretty much always i will have the ingredients around, unlike some other vegan/gf recipes i find and send me on hopeless shopping sprees

    okay ding ding idea
    when spring hits and after the gound is no longer wet
    we are going to a park
    in the country
    at least an hour drive away
    and this park must have a forest
    and we are going
    to
    go have a PICNIC with a huge amount of baked goods
    and then we will walk through the forest of wonder.

    its going to happen.
    i am writing it in my agenda.

    ReplyDelete