Friday, February 27, 2009

Spiced Apple Ginger Bread

I’ve been pretty busy with school work lately, and haven’t had much time to cook. I was feeling a little under the weather, and wanted to eat as much ginger as I could to boost my immune system and prevent a cold if I could. So I thought besides ginger tea, I would make Spiced Apple Ginger Bread. My photo card is still missing, but here’s the link to the recipe I used as my base, and I believe there are pictures there: http://www.ecurry.com/blog/breads/spiced-apple-ginger-bread/
It’s from eCurry, I’ve never checked that site out before but I think I will now! I love the spice action going on in this bread, I never expected to see curry in a bread recipe but it never hurts to try new things. Warning: Maybe it was the way I shredded the ginger, but it was pretty gingery. I loved this bread, but next time I’ll either use half the ginger, or shred it more finely.

Here we go

Ingredients

1 cup of spelt flour
1 cup of kamut flour
½ cup of applesauce (instead of the oil she used)
¼ cup of vanilla milk
¼ of a cup of brown sugar
1 banana (egg replacer)
1 tsp of vanilla
1 ½ cups of shredded apple (I shredded 1 cup and chopped a ½ cup)
6 tablespoons of grated ginger
2 clementine peels (make sure to wash them carefully)
½ teaspoon of cumin
½ tsp of cinnamon
½ tsp of nutmeg
¾ of a tsp of baking soda
1 handful of almonds chopped

Method

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Combine applesauce, milk, banana, sugar and vanilla in a bowl.
In another bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, baking soda. Add wet to dry and mix.
Add apples, orange peels, and almonds

Scoop the mixture into a prepared bread pan, and bake for 65-70 minutes

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking back to me!! Glad it worked for u.. now i know a Vegan version.

    I didn't know there was curry in my bread either:-) it's only my Blog's name LOL

    ReplyDelete