Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sunday Morning Spelt Crepes

This morning I woke up thinking about a recipe I had read in the Fresh cookbook my sister bought for me. I think there are three Fresh restaurants downtown, but the one I go to is the one at Spadina and Bloor (http://www.juiceforlife.com/fresh.html). It's right by my school, and is a perfect place to go for healthy, vegan, delicious food. The recipe I tried this morning is the Orange Spelt Crepes. They're gluten free, and vegan as well. I made a couple changes to the recipe, for instance, I changed honey with agave nectar, and I didn't have sunflower oil so I used olive oil, just less.
Eventually I want to post pictures on here, but I didn't have any batteries for my camera so you'll just have to fire up the old imagination.
Here we go:
Orange Spelt Crepes
1-3/4 cups of spelt flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of orange zest
1/2 teaspoon of orange juice
1 tablespoon of agave nectar (Fresh's recipe called for honey))
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
2/3 of a cup vanilla soy milk
1-1/4 of a cup water
4 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil (Fresh's recipe called for 8 teaspoons of sunflower oil...which I didn't have. I just guessed at what would taste good, because I know olive oil can be over powering)
I mixed the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, and the zest) in a bowl, make sure the zest doesn't stick together and form lumps
I used a container with a lid to mix all the wet ingredients (orange juice, soy milk, maple syrup, agave, oil) so it was easy just to shake it all up. Then I transferred it to a bowl and slowly added the dry ingredients to the wet, stirring all the time to get the lumps out. The Fresh recipe said to "whisk" but I don't have one of those handy contratraptions so I used a fork.
In the meantime, I turned on my burner to low/medium heat. I used a Teflon pan,so no oil was necessary, but the recipe recommended it. The recipe also said to use only 1/8 of the batter at a time, I used 1/4. This resulted in thicker crepes, but that suits me just fine. Put the crepes in the oven at a very low heat to keep them warm while you cook the other crepes.
I chopped up a mango, a papaya, an orange, and sprinkled some blueberries to accompany my crepes, and squeezed an orange over the crepes instead of maple syrup. This was a delicious breakfast, and definitely a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment