Thursday, February 19, 2009

Happy Phonograph Day!

Ha, yeah, I didn't know what to put in the title so I googled February 19 and it turns out today in 1878 the phonograph was patented by Thomas Edison. So if you like music, and I do, have a celebration. Maybe start your celebration with......

Pear and Oat Scones!

Well, I lost my camera memory card! That’s why there isn’t a picture, so let me describe them. They’re triangles, brownish, raisony, uhhhsconey… They look like scones, sheesh.
But they’re really tasty, low fat, vegan and gluten free to boot. Once again, the recipe comes from Urban Drivel and here’s the original recipe: http://urbandrivel.blogspot.com/2008/02/no-pic-vegan-oatmeal-scones.html
Her recipe called for margarine, soy butter or apple sauce, but I didn’t want to use margarine, and I’m out of apples and bananas so I decided to blend up a pear and see how it worked out. And it turned out pretty well if I do say. So use your imaginations, because these scones are worth it.

Ingredients

1 pear, blended or ¼ of a cup of applesauce
1 ¼ cup of flour (I used half and half kamut and spelt)
1/3 of a cup of brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp of baking soda
1 cup of oats
1/3 of a cup of raisins
1 tsp of cinnamon
1/3 of a cup of soy milk

Method
Preheat oven to 375
In a bowl, mix flour, baking soda and powder and cinnamon in a bowl.
Add blended pear and mix until the mixture is crumbly
Add oats and raisins, stir
Add soy milk and stir, use your hands and knead just a bit in the bowl
Sprinkle a baking pan with flour (to keep this recipe gluten free I used kamut flour, but its more expensive than regular flour, so use whatever you want)
Put ball of dough on pan and flatten into a 7” circle. Cut 8-12 triangles and place in the oven
Bake for 15-20 minutes

I spread a bit of jam on mine, it tasted so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment