Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Simple Vegan Macaroons





This recipe is so simple I thought it wouldn't work. There are THREE ingredients. That's right. Three. You need dates, a banana, and some shredded coconut. Instead of blending the ingredients in a blender, I chose to chop everything very finely, because to tell the truth, I really just didn't want to get out the blender. So these are the ultimate slacker's macaroons. I made these with my mom in mind, she loves macaroons, but allergies to wheat, sugar, and dairy have made it hard for her to indulge.


Macaroons
8 regular sized dates (remove the pits)
1 1/2 cup of shredded coconut (the coconut I used was sweetened, but you could use unsweetened because of the natural sugars in the dates and banana)
1 banana

Chop the dates very thinly until they're almost mushy

Chop the banana roughly

Using a potato masher, mash in a bowl

Add your coconut slowly, continue to mash

When all ingredients are blended, generously heap a teaspoon's worth out of the bowl, roll with your hands to form a ball

Place on a baking sheet.

Bake at 325 degrees F for about 15 minutes

I decided to put mine under the broiler for less than 5 minutes until the tops were slightly crispy.

Sooo Good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment