Thursday, February 12, 2009




Last weekend I went to Ottawa for Winterlude. I used to travel there fairly often when I was younger, and skate up and down the Rideau Canal pretty much the whole trip. The best part about skating all day long was skating up to a Beavertail station and eating the most delicious thing in the entire world: the Beavertail! It wasn’t until a couple weeks ago that I realized I would never be able to eat a Beavertail again...maybe a good thing for my intestines, but not something to look forward to. WELL let me tell you the highlight of my trip: turns out, the dough is just flour, yeast, and salt…NO DAIRY OR EGGS. It only became non-vegan when they slather it in butter and other toppings. So, I just got it with cinnamon, sugar, and lemon (which is what I always used to get), and it was amazing.

On to the recipe!

There were a bunch of zucchinis in my fridge, and I wanted to use them up. I decided to make zucchini bread, which really is more like cake, either way, deeeelicious.

Spiced Zucchini Bread

2 tablespoons of flaxseed
½ a cup of water
½ a cup of vanilla soy milk
1 cup of brown sugar
2 ¼ of a cup of kamut and spelt flour (half and half)
¾ of a teaspoon of baking soda
½ a teaspoon of instant yeast
1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon
¼ of a teaspoon of ground cloves
½ a cup of chopped walnuts
1 cup of grated zucchini (one zucchini)

Method

Heat your oven to 350 degrees, grease a bread pan
Blend the flaxseeds with ½ a cup of water, it will take on the consistency of an egg
Add sugar and the soy milk, and continue to blend until smooth

In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, yeast, and spices)
Add the dry to the wet ingredients and mix well.
Add the zucchini and walnuts, mix.
Pour the mixture into the bread pan, pop in the oven for about 60 minutes (poke with a sharp piece of metal to see if it’s ready…metal will come out clean when it’s done)
Let cool, then enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment