Thursday, February 5, 2009


Travellin’ Snack


I’m going on a trip in a couple days, and I wanted to make sure there were healthy snacks that wouldn’t hurt my stomach available for me. I love dried fruit and nuts, and I like the flavour that bananas add to recipes. So, I decided to make granola bars! I googled a recipe, but ended up adding many of my own ingredients, doing my best to make it sugar free, gluten free, vegan, and as healthy as possible.

Banana, Fruit and Nut Granola Recipe

1 ½ cups of oats
3 tablespoons of flaxseeds
1/3 of a cup of chopped walnuts
1/3 of a cup chopped prunes
1/3 of a cup chopped dried apricots
1/3 of a cup of raisins
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1/3 of a cup of agave nectar
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 banana
1 teaspoon of cinnamon

Instructions


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Oil a baking pan.
Soak the raisins and apricots to plump them up.
Combine the dry ingredients (oats, flaxseeds, walnuts, cinnamon) in a bowl and mix.
Mash the banana, chop up the prunes and mash into the banana.
Add the vanilla, oil, and agave nectar and mix well.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry.
Mix in raisins and apricots.
Scoop the mash onto the pan, pack down and form into a rectangle (8” by 11” ish)
Bake for about 20 minutes, then 5 minutes under the broiler

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment