Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What's With The Snow?


I never really have an issue with the cold, the way I see it, I live in Canada so forfeit my right to complain about weather. But today I woke up and was genuinely surprised to see it snowing outside. Which is okay, because it put me in the mood for something warm and spicy, and so I give you: Seitan Chili! I used this recipe from the Post Punk Kitchen to make the seitan: http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=112

But if you have another source of seitan go for it. I really like this recipe so far, but it's a bit salty for my tastes. Extra firm tofu, or even red kidney beans would probably substitute well.


Ingredients


1 can low sodium tomato sauce (just tomatoes, nothing else added)
½ a can of low sodium tomatoes
1 carrot
4 baby red potatoes
4 baby gold potatoes
3 cups of mixed vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli,)
2 cloves of garlic
1 white onion
1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
½ a cup of frozen peas
About a cup of seitan chopped
½ a cup of frozen corn
Spices:
½ a teaspoon of cinnamon
½ a teaspoon coriander seed
½ a teaspoon of chili powder
Ground black pepper
Sprinkle of red pepper flakes (to your liking)

Method

Heat a large pot on medium high, along with the teaspoon of olive oil
Add onion and garlic, sauté until browned
Add seitan and spices, sauté about 1 minute
Add tomato sauce and canned tomatoes
Add potatoes and carrots
Add frozen vegetables
Taste to see if the spices are right
Cook until the vegetables (pay special attention to potatoes) are cooked


Sorry about the crappy picture, it doesn't reflect the quality of this chili

No comments:

Post a Comment